Don't miss out on these other pages!

Class Schedule

(502) 370-7632 Joani

Please call or email us to reserve your spot.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Desk Tidy Tutorial

Are you ready for a tutorial on the desk tidy?  Well, here goes ~ and remember if you need to see something up close a little better just click on the picture and it will bring it up larger for you, then hit your back button to get back here Ü
You can make the base of this desk tidy with one sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" card stock and a few scraps of designer paper. 
The first piece is cut 3 1/4" x 10" and you will score it at 1", 2", 3" and 6 1/2".
This piece of card stock is cut at 5 1/4" x 5 1/4" and you will score at 1" on each side.
Cut each of the 4 side "flaps" up to the 1" score mark.  If you've seen my tutorials before you know that I like to cut a little notch out of each flap so when you adhere the box together you will see that it is a little "cleaner" looking. 
To cut the notch out make a mark in the center of your piece so you can center your cut out.  I took my 1 1/4" circle punch and inserted it half way in to cut out the notch.  This will be the front of your tray, then fold it up to complete the tray.
This piece will be the back part of the disk tidy.  It is cut at 2 1/2" x 4 1/4" and the scoring is a little tricky.  In this position you will score the paper at the 1" mark and then rotate the paper 180 degrees and score it again at 1".  Then on the short ends you will score at 1/2" in on both sides.
 
This picture shows the scores a little clearer.  And remember to cut out your notches.  Now assemble your box together.
Now we will take the 3 1/4" x 10" piece and adhere it to the tray.  You will take the long flap and apply take to the back bottom and adhere it INSIDE the back of the tray.  You will then take the 1" scored piece and apply tape to it to adhere to the BACK outside of your tray.
**NOTE:  I forgot to take a picture of how you will fold this piece after it's scored, sorry.  But I think that by looking at this picture you will be able to understand it.  If not, please shoot me an email or leave me a message and I'll try to explain better...
It is important that you try to use a strong adhesive to piece your box together ~ you can even use your favorite 'wet' glue.  One of my favorites is Zip Dry paper glue.
When I'm putting this together I pick the piece up and scrunch it together.  It just works easier for me, you may have an easier way for you.
Now you will take the 2 1/2" x 4 1/4" piece and apply adhesive to the back side and adhere it to the BACK of your desk tidy.
It should look something like this when the pieces are all put together.  It really goes fast, and it really is easy to make.  All you have to do is decorate it and fill it and you are complete.
The base of mine is Garden Green and So Saffron and Petal Patch DP.  The image is actually a digi stamp from Cuddly Buddy
I hope that this tutorial helps you out.  If you ever have any questions, just feel free to ask!
I'd love to see what you came up with ~ if you try it send me a link, I'd love to see it. 

Have a super great day!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The desk tidy is so cute!!!
A definite on my to-do list this weekend. Thank you for the tutorial.

Bridgett Owens said...

Thank you for the step by step instructions! I want to make one of these for my computer desk! Thank you!! Your desk tidy tutorial is awesome and your project turned out so super sweet!

Nicola said...

I am loving the green one. The tutorial is awesome. I can't wait to try.

Hugs
Nic

Rachel @ The Little Blue Room said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I made one and sharied it on my blog-http://www.thelittleblueroom.com/2010/08/take-note.html

Whimcees said...

Hello!

This is a great project and tutorial! Thank you for sharing!

Wiahing you a great week ahead!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Anonymous said...

wow your tut is amazing thank u very much for taking the time, the pics and sharing thank u
i can't wait to make mine and show u too :)

Sally said...

fabulous tutorial. I have saved it so I can give it a try when I have a few minutes to craft.